SMEAA - Indigenous
The Australian Indigenous Minority Supplier Council (AIMSC) connects Indigenous suppliers with corporate and Government purchasers. Minister Arbib worked with Indigenous business leaders to establish the Council.
• In two years of operation AIMSC certified 93 Indigenous suppliers and attracted 114 corporate and government members.
• AIMSC generated $21.7 million in contracts and $6.4 million in transactions between its members and suppliers.
• AIMSC certified suppliers have employed a total of about 350 Indigenous full-time equivalent staff.
• Murra Wolka Creations, a 100% owned, 3rd generation Aboriginal business was engaged by Freehills to produce 1 900 original Aboriginal artworks for Christmas gifts for Freehills staff in every office around Australia in December 2010. This was the biggest single project Murra Wolka has delivered to date and allowed Murra Wolka to employ additional Aboriginal artists.
• FaHCSIA, Corporate Express, Salmat and the NRL have engaged with AIMSC certified Indigenous suppliers to deliver work ranging from Cultural Awareness workshops, print services, Reconciliation Action Plans and media strategies.
AIMSC Suppliers are starting to extend their business opportunities abroad, with some in discussions with Minority Businesses in the United States to explore possible business partnerships.
Indigenous Opportunities Policy
The Indigenous Opportunity Policy (IOP) was implemented on 1 July 2011. This policy requires those who win Government contracts of $5 million or more to use Indigenous suppliers. More information can be found at
Exemption to Mandatory Procurement Guidelines for Indigenous SMEs
In May last year the Government announced an exemption to the mandatory procurement procedures allowing Government departments to directly approach small and medium Indigenous owned enterprises for contracts without the need to conduct a tender process. Further information can be found at
http://www.finance.gov.au/publications/finance-circulars/2011/docs/Finance-Circular-2011-02_Commonwealth_Procurement_Guidelines.pdf and http://www.aimsc.org.au/resources/Exemption_for_Indigenous_Businesses